Scientific Facts – In A Nutshell
Did you know?
- Carbon dioxide (CO2) levels in the air are less than 0.04%;
- Annually, all human activity produces 3% of Earth’s CO2, Nature 97%, 32 times more;
- Driven by temperature, oceans release and absorb CO2. Oceans contain in dissolved form, fifty times the CO2 contained in Earth’s entire atmosphere;
- Nature alone controls the air’s CO2 levels. Total human production is one quarter of just the variation in Nature’s production. Despite continuous human CO2 production, every year during the southern hemisphere winter Nature reduces Earth’s global CO2 levels;
- The absorption of human and industrial CO2 into oceans and plants is the same as for CO2 produced by Nature;
- Residence time for CO2 is only 5 to 7 years. It is then recycled back into sinks such as plants, oceans and soils. Some studies show recycle time is only 12 months;
- UN IPCC data on the air’s carbon dioxide (CO2) levels show carbon dioxide is a consequence of temperature, not a cause. This is true for every period in Earth’s history and over every duration;
- Carbon dioxide is a natural trace gas essential for all life on Earth. With Nature annually producing 97% of all CO2, CO2 is obviously not a pollutant;
- There has been no increase in global atmospheric temperature since 1998. ‘Global warming’ is not happening;
- Climate varies naturally with inherent variation in Nature’s cooling-warming-cooling cycles. Accurate temperature measurements by satellite and weather balloons show no net warming. El Nino and solar activity explain temperature variation;
- The UN’s climate body downplays satellite and weather balloon data and prefers ground-based temperature measurements known to be corrupted;
- Ocean temperatures have been flat or slightly cooling since 2003;
- Oceans are alkaline. Earth’s oceans thrived for extensive periods with the air’s CO2 20 times that of today. Anyway, when oceans warm they release CO2 into the atmosphere;
- Australia’s sea levels during the last 15 years have risen only 0.3 mm per year. In 100 years that will be just over one inch. The most extensive study measuring Pacific island sea levels shows no rise since measurements began in 1992. Sea level projections by the government and its taxpayer funded Climate Commission rely on unvalidated computer models themselves relying on temperature guesses proven wrong;
- There has been no increase in storm activity or strength. In falsely claiming increased storms, the UN IPCC’s chairman contradicted and overrode the IPCC’s storm expert, Chris Landsea. In protest, Landsea resigned from the UN IPCC;
If you still believe “we” are causing the earth to warm/cool/change/more storms/less storms/warm winters/cool summers/more snow/less snow, please show some hard evidence that it is so.
Love this very simple explaination of energy source comparisons. Pretty simple really.
Alternative energy only makes sense if you truly believe that carbon dioxide is the devil incarnate. If it’s not, there is no point whatsover for wind or solar.
It all comes down to E=MC2 or for non-nuclear, E=MV2. To get enough “E” you either need lots of “M” (mass”) or very high “V” (velocity). Wind has very little mass and thus must move very, very fast to produce much “E”. Or in practical terms you must litter vast areas of the landscape with windmills. Solar is fine with E=MC2 but the problem is the nuclear reaction is 92 million miles away and once again enormous areas of land must be covered with solar panels to produce enough “E”. The chemical reactions that release energy are far more efficient and of course, that’s why we’ve burned carbon based fuels for thousands of years.
Solar has about 1/10th the energy density of wood, wood is about half as energy dense as coal,coal about 1/2 that of gasoline and of course the really winner is nuclear power which is around 2 million times as energy powerful as gasoline.
Those who advocate wind or solar simply have the laws of physics against them. They can’t break those laws without destroying the landscape and/or the economy.
Taken from a thread from http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/11/16/help-settle-the-renewable-energy-debate-at-the-economist/#more-51250
Just what do we actually know about the levels of Carbon Dioxide?
Carbon Dioxide gets a bad rap these days. Its called pollution, and causes global warming and extreme weather conditions. I’d like to put some perspective on the level of concentrations of CO2. CO2 is actually two Oxygen atoms and One Carbon atom. Our world is filled with living things that are made from Carbon and utilise Oxygen to exist.
Examples of Carbon Dioxide levels
- 700 ppm – The concentration in an average living room
- 900 ppm – The average concentration in the average kitchen
- 1,270 ppm – The concentration used to double the growth of a Cowpea (see famous Youtube video)
- 1,700 ppm – The average concentration in the Cretacious period. 145 to 65 mya
- 4,500 ppm – The average concentration in the Sirilian period. 444 to 416 mya
- 5,000 ppm – The international safety limit
- 10,000 ppm – Sensitive people start to feel weaker
- 40,000 ppm – the concentration of C02 in the air we breath out.
- 392 ppm – The concentration of C02 in the atmosphere as measured at Mauna Loa in Hawaii.
There is no correlation between CO2 levels and the earth’s temperature. There is some correlation with temperature in the ice core record, however it is over much longer periods, and, CO2 quite clearly rises roughly 800 years after the temperature changes.
So when someone starts to talk about C02 as being pollution, call them out. They are lying. When someone talks about CO2 causing global warming, they are lying or they are just “parroting” the lie. Call them out.
Carbon Dioxide is made from, Carbon, the building block of life on earth, and Oxygen, one the most essential elements to life on earth. What would make anyone ever consider it to be a pollutant, and in such scarce quantities in the atmosphere that it would cause anything at all, let alone change the entire world climate???
Comparison of cost of the most used energy sources. One has to wonder why we have to waste our hard earned money on renewables?